Thursday 19 April 2012

JOUR1111 Blog 6, Lecture 7, Monday 16th April


Again bedridden with relapsed tonsillitis I missed this week’s lecture so I am relegated to watching it through Lectopia which every day I am becoming more thankful for. Lecture 6 is on public media to as a response to last week’s commercial media lecture.

The greater chunk of the lecture was spent generally discussing public media and its place in the media landscape and the world in general. Most of what was said I either already knew or had long suspected but I think I’ll take this as an opportunity to have a rant about the negative manner in which the ABC was treated during the lecture. Referred to as Aunty ABC and pegged as uncool in my experiences this is far from the normal perspective of my demographic.

Brought up as a child on ABC kids programming my first feelings towards ABC have always been hugely positive from an early age. With the recent addition of ABC3 I can only imagine such feelings will only increase amongst future generations. As I got older and drifted apart of children’s programming I still held ABC in the highest stead for having varied, original and interesting programs which gave it superior depth to other networks. When internet streaming removed the exclusivity of American commercial programming and the Australian commercial networks were left baring their flaking framework beneath their shiny façade only ABC and SBS maintained credibility and fan loyalties. Also, if there is even one form of large-scale media which the Australian youth feel a real connection to, in my experience, it is Triple J. Their support of new and alternative music combined with their youth focus has given them huge cultural significance amongst society’s youth.

My generation respects the ABC and I would have no hesitation in claiming it is the “coolest” of all Australian television networks at least. Maybe this is all just my experience but if it ever existed I think the mantle of Aunty ABC has long since been shifted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment