Thursday 19 April 2012

JOUR1111 Blog 3, Lecture 5, Monday 26th March


So it got to 9:30 Sunday night, the day before my weekly lecture, before I realised I should probably listen to week 5’s sound lecture. It was also a convenient way to bridge the 42 minutes it takes for the washing machine to clean my clothes. Conversely downloading this lecture did use up 43.3mb of my valuable internet quota, as somehow less than 24 hours after having acquired this months refreshed quota I have used 400 of my 3000mb limit. This sound lecture also has the flaw of letting me use Facebook at the same time without the same level of guilt as using it in a lecture.

During the first radio interview I found that I felt quite disconnected both in relation to the speaker and to the relevance to my course. It was very focussed on specific skills relating to radio but lacked a broader picture. I felt far more connected during the second interview although it’s quite possible I just thought his radio voice was far less manufactured and irritating.

I can’t say I had a lot of strong feelings about the lecture on the whole but if I was to discuss one resounding theme it would be the focus on working for your audience. Just because you’re the one speaking doesn’t mean that your ideas are the ones that get to be expressed. That really stuck with me. As someone with copious amounts of opinions I find it easy to put them ahead of those of other people and not fairly represent both sides of an argument. This is not conducive to radio journalism, or journalism in general, and it will be in my best interests to try and remain conscious of this at all points in my writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment