Thursday 19 April 2012

JOUR1111 Blog 2, Lecture 4, Monday 19th March


I’m going to come straight out and say that today’s lecture was, for me personally, the least provocative and interesting of the four JOUR1111 lectures I have attended. After last week’s debacle of not taking notes till halfway I made sure to write down anything that could have been important. But looking back over said notes I’m realising that nothing really stands out… well except for the part about Keira Knightley’s boobs but that’s only because I put that part in bold.

Today’s lecture started with it being pointed out that we must blog about all the lectures including those from before we set up the blog which means I now have to retroactively discuss lectures I barely remember, I’m not exactly sure how I’m going to go about that. After that initial housekeeping Bruce moved on to photo journalism and how it’s now a necessary skill for any journalist.  There wasn’t really too much of not from the information we were given – people have been telling stories through pictures since forever, there are certain things that make a good photo, Photoshop is extremely prominent in modern media.

One thing that was of particular interest was the “Rule of Thirds” which is a theory about how photos should be composed by keeping points of interest contained in a ‘third’ of the picture. The other thing that really impacted me, as it has been through this entire course, is the use of, seemingly gimmicky, technology in modern journalism. The concept of an iPhone being an appropriate tool for capturing photos for a major news story is just mind blowing for me. But at the same time the more I think about it the more I see the practicality. Photo journalism is all about capturing the moment, as was discussed in today’s lecture, is all about capturing the moment; there is no requirement for the pictures to have been taken on $5000 cameras with $2000 lenses, all that’s important is that you capture the moment. If there is one thing I took from today’s lecture that is it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment