Thursday 19 April 2012

JOUR1111 Blog 5, Lecture 2, Monday 5th March


With the blog due date imminent some retroactive blogging is in order. I really wish I had been more aware of the assessment at the time because lecture 2 isn’t feeling as relevant on rewatch as it did at the time.

The lecture began with a discussion of “Web 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0”, terms which I had been somewhat familiar with but not really understood. It was actually very interesting to look at the progression of the internet. What’s interesting is when laid out in front of you its evolution makes perfect sense; the way in which its focus moved from large companies, to moderate size social groups and then to individual people. Each step is more functional and more complicated; it should have actually been very foreseeable.

The second half of the lecture was spent on entitlement and involved perhaps the single best demonstration of any university lecture I have been to, to date. I’m not quite sure why but I feel compelled to reiterate it. We were given a bag of jellybeans, allowed to eat one, then had them unexpectedly taken from us. I don’t think I had ever felt more wronged in my life which made it a perfect example of entitlement and a brilliant illustration of how the public will feel in the face of having to pay for previously free news.

Overall this was a though provoking lecture and it really made me look forward to the semester of journalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment