Thursday 14 June 2012

JOUR1111 Blog 11, Lecture 11, Monday 21st May


Investigative journalism is petrifying. From the outside it seems that every aspect of it is riddled with danger and hard work; everything is against you. The very nature of investigative journalism is you’re attempting to find out something that someone doesn’t want you to know. You can be sued, shunned, arrested, defamed or hurt and yet somehow this all makes it feel more glamorous. Investigative journalism appeals to peoples’ sense of righteousness. It is the outsider’s method of combatting the injustices of the world and that’s what makes it great. There is a definite power fantasy that goes along with people’s desire to be investigative journalists; it allows someone to put their social conscience above everything else. People want to change the world; they want to be a martyr for their cause and this gives them their means.

As much as I see the attraction I don’t think I could ever be an investigative journalist. As I said it is petrifying.  I think I’m too non-confrontational which makes me shit scared of pissing anyone off. It also begs the question of whether one person has the right to decide what should be known by the public. Lies and secrets aren’t necessarily bad things (that said they frequently aren’t good things), they can be to protect or help people and exposing them could be harmful. Anyway I’m really just making excuses for my inability to ask the hard questions and it’s all the nature of the beast so long live investigative journalism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment